Photoblog > Kanefas

Posted on May 31, 2010 by Wim

A house in Amsterdam with a “gevelsteen” (you know Ginnie!) with bales of kanefas. Kanefas is an old word for tobacco, so I suppose a warehouse for that stuff was here at the Singel..

Kanefas

On this day in history

• Fire Hydrant
  • Night in Amsterdam II
  • Dark
  • Painter
  • Light & Dark
  • Poster
  • Under the Bridge
  • Mirror

My Instagram photos > View all

Replies

By Ginnie on Monday, May 31, 2010 at 08:00

Ja, inderdaad, Wim! I HAVE that gevelsteen somewhere in my collection from Amsterdam. :) I keep collecting them everywhere I go…and got some beauties in Hoorn a week ago. Even this past Saturday I got some more in Dordrecht when we were there for the Dordt in Stoom festivities. How fun that was!

By Philine on Monday, May 31, 2010 at 08:09

Ja, ik hou ook van de gevelstenen- dit is een bijzonder mooi steen- en prachtig zijn ook de weerspiegelingen in de ramen – ik heb eens in een hotel bij de Singel gewoond- elke gevel is anders dan zijn buur- echte individus!

By Philine on Monday, May 31, 2010 at 11:00

Dit is een interessante website precies passend bij je vandaag’s foto!

By Wim on Monday, May 31, 2010 at 11:39

Thank you Philine. I now rrad that kanefas is an old word for the cloth with wich these bales were made. They could contain tobacco.

By harry on Monday, May 31, 2010 at 16:18

Interesting. I like the precision of the bricks and the angled keystone effect. The bales are also goaad as is the reflection from across the street.

By don on Monday, May 31, 2010 at 18:49

A fine reflection shot. Nice framing. I liked the explanation of the bales too.

By pieterbie on Monday, May 31, 2010 at 21:47

Die weerspiegelingen in de ramen zijn ook super!

By Jasper on Monday, May 31, 2010 at 22:39

Fine classic composition. The reflection finishes the image!

By petra on Wednesday, June 2, 2010 at 16:05

heel mooi, met de weerspiegelingen.

By Mary on Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 13:43

Beautiful. I wonder how ‘twe kanefas bale’ is pronounced.
Do any of you know? I guess bale should sound almost the same as in English (/beɪl/) … but twe kanefas? Oh and I read it is made from hennep? :)

Your reply

All feedback is greatly appreciated!

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *